Friday, October 19, 2012

Today's post is brought to you by the letters M and C

Hello again!

As a webcomic, Coffee Bruin is supposed to update every Tuesday and Friday, so I'm going to start with the updates until it goes live.

This is going to be an exciting Saturday.  Of course I've got the 24 hour draw (which I'll talk about in a little bit), but this next thing is really cool too:

Many of you may know that I do Voice Over work, not much but some.  I'm also involved with the local Toastmasters club (Past President, CL, ACB) and I've done some work with Pendant Productions.  Finally, last Christmas, I was an emergency fill in emcee at our Light Up Downtown celebration (thank you Toastmasters!)

Put it all together and that means I've been asked to emcee a local event this Saturday!  For our area it will be pretty big: our local congresswoman may be there, our Gubernatorial candidate, and seven other candidates for office will be there. I will get to run the event from the stage, say a little bit about each person and then introduce each candidate.  We're expecting a big crowd and news media.  If it makes YouTube, I'll include a link in the next post.  I have refrained from mentioning the state or political affiliation simply because I don't want to upset anyone if you and I are in the same area and are on opposite sides of the fence.

Excited! Excited! Excited!  While I go calm down, watch this cute baby and puppy get excited playing:


Ok, that's much better.

Let's start playing techno marching montage music here - something heavy in violins.  Sure it's self-important, but hey... I like the piece and I always have music playing in my head.


24 Hour Draw Update: Prep is continuing. I'm doing "plot exercises " to avoid write's block.  I'm building my  Facial Expressions notebook and collecting worksheets full of hand gestures (all stuff that I should have had anyway).  Work space is being cleared and light bulbs are being replaced. Pencils are being sharpened.  Shopping lists are being written for snacks (need more coffee!!!).  Timer is getting fresh batteries. I'm getting pumped!

Originally, I was going to do this with a bunch of other artists at a local high school.  That didn't pan out.  So now I'll be spread out at the kitchen table instead of my art desk.  This is so my son can take part too.  He won't do the full 24 hour challenge, but if he can do 24 over a week I'd be thrilled!

When the project is finished, even if the comic book is not, I'll post the results, both mine and my son's.

WebComic Update:  I have been working on character drawings and editing scripts.  Here's a quick drawing of a character I call Ol' Joe.  With out going into specifics, many of you who know me should recognize him INSTANTLY (except for the exaggerated nose), and yes Ol' Joe is loosely based on him, as well as bits and pieces of Jean Reno from the Professional, Kevin Kline from French Kiss, and Michael Madsen from Kill Bill Vol 2.

I draw on everything - all the time
Ol'Joe will be featured in a select set of strips to help set up certain future plot points.  But I really can't say more.

Today's featured art from the sketch book comes from Stephanie Hocutt.  I met Stephanie at HeroesCon 2011.  She was part of a group of artists from SCAD (The Savannah College of Art and Design).  This group included Jen Keith (who I profiled in my last post).


Check out her webcomic at http://augustseptember.stephaniehocutt.com and her portfolio at http://stephaniehocutt.com/.  It has great work like this:


I've got a lot more prep to do to so I need to close this out for now.  Remember, if you want to do your own version of Bru, send it to me at Denis@CoffeeBruin.com with the subject "Fan Art".  I'll put it up in the next update.


While we're at it all this month if you email me at  Denis@CoffeeBruin.com with the subject "Special Strip", I will include YOU in the strip.  I've had several more people respond, but I still have a few spots left, so hurry!

Check back for more on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment